Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Bar - 11th Round

Penultimate Call.

102 comments:

Phoenix Sullivan said...

No one has to go home yet! Maybe you're all doing the contests, huh? Come b-a-a-a-c-k.

ril said...

It's all gone very quiet...

Xenith said...

They have all gone to bed!

PJD said...

Dropping in for one more look-see after the kids are in bed and the cub scout meeting is over and the Vermont Report is printed and in its special binder.

What'd I miss?

Julie Weathers said...

I'm still here. Was trying to finish the second part of my tribute, but my brain isn't functioning.

Julie Weathers said...

PJD, I looked at your pictures the other day. Your kids are so cute.

Kiersten White said...

Hi all. Decided to spend time with the hubby. What can I say, he's hot.

Did I miss anything cool? Okay, let's face it, I missed everything cool. But I'm guessing the bars comment quota didn't fill up as fast without me around...

Chris Eldin said...

I want to say thanks to Robin and Phoenix for pulling this all together!!! This has been a blast!!

Congratulations to Julie, if you're still around!
Ril, was that sketch of you? Is that the photo everyone is talking about? it's very nice.

PJD said...

Julie, thanks for the note about the kids. They are cute. It was decided in a nationwide blind cute test.

Kiersten White said...

Ah well, off to bed. Robin and Phoenix, thanks for setting this all up. Two full days where I was not bored at all! Awesome. I'm sure my kids will be glad it's over though.

And thanks to all of my wonderful new friends...Julie, who is not old, Sylia, an amazing poet, WO, I don't understand anything you type, Dave, Kirsten, who makes me uncomfortable but is just too much fun, and, well, there's just too many of you. Everyone on this site is wonderful and witty. It's a good thing it doesn't happen more often, or I would never accomplish anything, ever.

And thanks especially to EE, for bringing together so many fun people. And for being willing to cut us back down to size after this.

Kiersten White said...

Anybody else getting an academy awards vibe here? Oh well.

See you on EE.

Kiersten White said...

One last thing, Phoenix and Robin. Besides that I'm really good at keeping up conversations all by myself (but we're writers, that's what we do, right?). I'm going to take down my EE tribute blog. If you want to keep this site up and need a real link for me, my actual blog is kierstenwrites.blogspot.com. Thanks girls, you're the best. Short women rock.

McKoala said...

All gone?

Whirlochre said...

Hi y'all. Just trawled through the debris of the past 5 hours. Can't believe J.W. has been in here all night. Party animal! And congrats by the way.

I'm here till my brunch muffins carbonate...

Whirlochre said...

Just seen the time stamp and realised...I'm in here all alone.

(sits down and sobs)

Just because I've taken my socks off and screwed my eye back in...

It was so much better way back when on the farm...

Julie Weathers said...

WO is back on the farm?

Whirlochre said...

Ah. This is all old stuff from earlier. For some unknown reason I thought we were moving on to a fresh bar.

Julie Weathers said...

Why did you all move?

Were you looking for me? I feel special.

Whirlochre said...

This is going to nobble the narrative, isn't it?

Whirlochre said...

I think the bar was empty. I wandered in, saw no-one around, and left. Then, a new bar opened.

Whirlochre said...

Where's McK?

Perhaps there's a secret cupboard between bars — like a Blogger Narnia.

Julie Weathers said...

Ah, well back to shooting pool. Come on, I found some straight cue sticks.

McKoala said...

Narnia with white wine. Cheers!

Whirlochre said...

Yes - but all the balls are bent.

Julie Weathers said...

The fridge ate McK?!

Julie Weathers said...

Ah, yes, so they are.

What are you all working on writing wise?

Whirlochre said...

Narnia. Now, there's one I missed as a kid - along with Alice, Peter Pan and The Famous Five Throttle Some Nazis.

Julie Weathers said...

I almost bought Narnia the other day, but opted for the soundtracks to Lord of the Rings instead. Should have bought the book.

Whirlochre said...

Everything's draining into my novel, with distracted oddments populating my blog.

Other than that — this.

Whirlochre said...

Seven mins left for some of the competitions.

Shame we couldn't win PJD's hat.

Whirlochre said...

I'm not a fan of hobbit folk music.

Julie Weathers said...

What's your novel about?

I'm trying to decide on breakfast. Strawberry shortcake or healthy grain cereal with strawberries. Bear with me while I toss a coin.

McKoala said...

WO, that's sad. I read like a fiend as a kid. I had all 21 Famous Five books piled up by my bed and a boxed set of Narnia. Hated the Secret Seven, though. Apparently you went for one or the other. Also, hated Alice, but loved Peter Pan. The whole shadow thing. Just brilliant.

Julie, I'm working on a short story that I ended up putting on my blog, in sections. It started as a few hundred words that I put up to see if people thought I was an idiot and it turned into the Procrastination Buster Short Story and Aerin is writing one now and Robin's next up. Hers will be on my blog too, as she is blogless.

My that was long. What are you working on?

Julie Weathers said...

PJD's hat is one of the prizes?

Whirlochre said...

I'm getting concerned about McK. Her last comment hints at two different routes to a fantasy world being pursued at the same time.

Julie Weathers said...

Going to check out contests, be right back.

McKoala said...

Wo, please explain!

I bet PJDs hat is sweaty.

Whirlochre said...

Ah. She's back now.

I missed out on kid's literature and fed myself with comics. I inherited a pile of old classics off my Grandad, but wasn't excited by any of them. Plus, they smelled of moth balls.

McKoala said...

Julie, go the shortcake. Yum.

Whirlochre said...

Looks nice in the photo.

Julie Weathers said...

I love hats. I need a new one or to get my old one refurbished. Probably get the old one cleaned. I can't afford a new one.

Whirlochre said...

Ah, this is nothing if not topical.

Julie Weathers said...

Too late, McK. I am going with the cereal, but I did cut off some of my lovely sugar free angel food cake. I guess I got both.

Julie Weathers said...

McK, I am working on an epic, and I cringe to admit that, fantasy.

Whirlochre said...

People should wear more hats.

Not at once of course.

The only trouble with hats is that they blow off in a breeze and make you potentially more flammable in the event of dragon rider invasions.

McKoala said...

Why cringe?

Whirlochre said...

Nothing wrong with fantasy.

For most people, fantasy is what passes for reality most of the time.

McKoala said...

Yes, heaven forfend one of those dragon rider invasions arrive at the same time you are wearing your best hat.

Whirlochre said...

That's why, on the rare occasions when I leave the house in a hat, I always put on my 2nd best one.

Julie Weathers said...

Well, having been on a ranch and rodeoed, I wear my hats pretty snug. Don't really want a hat worth several hundred dollars blowing off.

Xenith said...

Morning?

Whirlochre said...

Morning/afternoon/evening.

It's a temporal minestrone.

Julie Weathers said...

McK, I keep hearing first time novelists ought to stay to shorter works.

Mine will probably hit 130,000-140,000 words on compeltion. I still have seven chapters to go. I doubt any agents or publishers will want it and I'm quite sure if I pare it to 90,000 words or so, it will be pretty sparse.

Julie Weathers said...

Morning, Xenith.

Whirlochre said...

Xenith.

Just checked your blog and discovered a wealth of fluffy creatures.

I'm thrilled.

McKoala said...

Wine or coffee, Xenith? Julie has some breakfast too. Jeb cooked earlier, but it's cold now.

Julie, I think with fantasies the rules are different. Agents expect them to be longer.

Xenith said...

Ha. I'm about off to bed (trying to decide if I should go & read, or write a bit more)


Fluffy creatures???

Whirlochre said...

That's what they look like.

Julie Weathers said...

Yes, I agree, McK, but even at that I am pushing it past the limits.

The problem is I am one of those people who drop clues constantly, so what might seem like a fluff scene comes into play later.

Xenith said...

Oh, squirrel & hedgehodge, I forgot they'd moved to the top.

Tea or hot chocolate

Whirlochre said...

Makes you wonder what Tolkein's editor pruned to make it so...short.

Julie Weathers said...

Dang these strawberries are good, I am such a glutton. When you are vertically challenged, you can't afford to be a glutton. It makes you horizontally blessed.

Xenith said...

I try to stay under 120K with fantasy (by "under" I mean 125,000 rounded down)

Whirlochre said...

EE normally posts around now so we may have a visit soon.

Julie Weathers said...

I'm at 120,000 now with seven chapters to go. I know I can pare part of it, but it's going to be hard to adjust things so I don't lose the clues.

I'll probably cut my ghost pov chapter even though it's only four pages.

McKoala said...

Had to go look. Looks familiar. So cute. In fact, I think I posted a comment on that blog of cuteness some time ago.

Where's the sqrl been? She missed the party.

Julie, finish and see. Maybe that's the right length for your story, and if it's a good story, the length will be fine. It's not like you're going for 250,000 words. On the other hand, I find if I delete all the 'that's' and 'just's I lose a few thousand words right there...

McKoala said...

WO, don't go, but weren't you leaving after ten minutes half an hour ago?

Julie Weathers said...

I will miss the chatting, though I have to admit I feel guilty. I feel like I have been the loud-mouthed drunk at the party.

Whirlochre said...

That's the trouble with editing — keeping track of what you've edited out.

I've just written some stuff referring to something I cut. My finger, I think.

Xenith said...

Oh thanks Julie. I almost sprayed tea all over my keyboard.

Julie Weathers said...

My editor at the magazine broke me of the "that" habit. I will do extreme literary gymnastics to avoid using it, but I'm positive I can lose a lot of stuff.

Whirlochre said...

I was.

I am.

I will.

Whirlochre said...

I'm indescribably of-y.

McKoala said...

Don't.

While I never want this party to end, I fear if it doesn't end soon I may never write again. Other than here.

Julie Weathers said...

Oops, sorry about the keyboard.

WO agreed. I cut out a part I thought I didn't need and then later wondered what the heck the character was talking about. Oh, yeah, I cut that scene.

Xenith said...

If it gets too long, you just chop it in half -- instant sequel

Whirlochre said...

It's fun. But it's too tempting a distraction. In that sense I'm a cat chasing a butterfly instead of chomping on the inert cat munch spread out in my bolw.

Whirlochre said...

2-for-1 novels. I like that.

McKoala said...

LOL, xenith! Love that solution.

WO, thought you hated cats. Now you are a cat.

Julie Weathers said...

McK-

Agreed. I applied to the Barbara Rogan workshop and I'm rewriting the first two chapters for it. Well, an entire new first chapter and adjusting second chapter. If I get in, the workshop starts May 29, so I need to get my butt in gear.

Whirlochre said...

I must have metamorphosed — like a meaowtant.

Julie Weathers said...

Xenith, it's already a four or five book series. I have to end this one with the taking of a religious stronghold to keep things tidy.

Julie Weathers said...

I must have metamorphosed — like a meaowtant.`

That was really bad. I'd be lion if I said otherwise.

Xenith said...

Julie, you need to talk to Squirrel. It sounds like her problem (now to see if she reads that)

McKoala said...

Meowtant. Actually funny.

Whirlochre said...

Nobody ever sweeps up in those religious strongholds. The monks are too busy chanting to notice the dust.

Julie Weathers said...

Well, there isn't much to sweep up when my army gets through with it.

McKoala said...

We'll have to send Saipan writer in to the stronghold. She likes sweeping.

Julie Weathers said...

Haven't seen Squirrel's work.

Whirlochre said...

Hey, listen.

Now I really do have to go, which is a great, great shame.

I'd Love to stay but the nerve supply to my buttocks is on the verge of packing in.

See ya.

Julie Weathers said...

She does. Thankfully. Maybe she will come to my apartment.

McKoala said...

Not to repeat myself, but why no squirrel at the party?

Julie Weathers said...

Night, WO.

McKoala said...

Bye, WO. Gotta save those buttocks.

Phoenix Sullivan said...

So here you all are! Good morning/afternoon/evening!

Before I close down the short story post and we choose the person who's going to write the ending, does anyone else want to add anything else to it or join the lottery for being the one to end it all?

McKoala said...

Hi Phoenix! Not me. Too much wine. And I never got around to contributing. Sorry. Turned out I was doing too good a job propping up the bar.

Phoenix Sullivan said...

Since there are some of you up and about and still chatting, I'll go ahead and open up a fresh bar room for you. Feel free to stay around.

Xenith said...

I pointed her this way just a few minutes ago but there must have been too many acorns on the way

Julie Weathers said...

Phoenix, thank you and good morning.

I missed out on the story.

Xenith said...

It's the free drinks, Pheonix :)

McKoala said...

LOL Xenith!

Phoenix, I may kick myself out before you do. Got to go to bed sometime.

Phoenix Sullivan said...

Hehe. OK, if you'll scoot over to the "The Bar - Friday" comment section, you'll have lots more room to fall all over yourselves, spill your drinks -- any dancing naked on the tables yet?