Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Bar - 3rd Round (Thursday)

Just tapped a new keg. Bring your mugs!

97 comments:

Chris Eldin said...

Come on self, type fast!!

Firsties!

Chris Eldin said...

YAY!
What else did you buy, EE?

PJD said...

GO SUBMIT SOME POEMS TO THE CONTEST, you scabless dogs!

PJD said...

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

writtenwyrdd said...

yes, there have to be better wits than mine potically speakin'.

writtenwyrdd said...

that was poetically.

Chris Eldin said...

Don't anger the rhinothongbutt.

Dave Fragments said...

We were talking about how we write stories - in chapters or as a whole conception.

Dave Fragments said...

I'm kinda wasted today, Pete. It was a bad night and all my poetic creativity has run away.

Ulysses said...

My poetry is... execrable.

Ulysses said...

My volcabulary, however, seems to be fine.

Phoenix Sullivan said...

The winning cock tale, er, cocktail has just been announced on the contest page!

Evil Editor said...

I just went over and continued the story, only to have blogger eat it.

Evil Editor said...

If not your spelling.

Chris Eldin said...

Blogger didn't eat it! We posted at the same time, but I bowed out.
YOurs is up!

Dave Fragments said...

Blogger's been hungry the week.

Evil Editor said...

Good, I didn't feel like retyping it.

Dave Fragments said...

Blogger's been hungry the week.

writtenwyrdd said...

I added something that used them both. Evil me. I should bow out now, I seem to be hogging the story. YOu guys apparently don't have all day to keep checking,a nd I do because work is not really work, if you know what I mean...

Evil Editor said...

It doesn't matter how much you add or how often. It just matters that you not screw it up.

PJD said...

which is why I am not participating.

Sylvia said...

*bounces back into the room*

Sorry, I got ... distracted.

Evil Editor said...

You know, it's nice that Sean Stewart and Miss Snark dropped by, but where the hell is Grisham?

Sylvia said...

And I've shown as much of my poetry as I think is sensible ;)

writtenwyrdd said...

lol, EE, how can you possibly screw a round robin up? Which is likely your point, come to think of it.

kirsten saell said...

Sylvia--you were at ERWA, weren't you? Admit it!

Sylvia said...

Editorial Anonymous stopped by to say hello too, EE

writtenwyrdd said...

hey Sylvia, I dug out a college poem in memory of your sharing. I think we need more college poetry shared!

Ulysses said...

Grisham is busy scribbling the sequel to "The Firm" on the backs of hundred dollar bills.

kirsten saell said...

No poetry for me. It isn't even humorously bad. I don't want to be responsible for anyone choking to death on heavy-handed metaphors.

Sylvia said...

*glares at Kirsten*

No! I was, just, uh, busy. Doing something. But not that.

Sylvia said...

LOL Writtenwyrd go on then, post, post!

kirsten saell said...

Grisham scribbles on those? I thought he wiped his bottom on them...

Dave Fragments said...

Poetry is like visiting Gethsemane. I really have to be inspired to even attempt to do it.

kirsten saell said...

Wish I could stay, but the school gets mad when I forget to pick up my kid...

PJD said...

No poetry for me. It isn't even humorously bad. I don't want to be responsible for anyone choking to death on heavy-handed metaphors.

Let me quote from the contest rules:

# The more it sounds like it was written by a pompous, elitist prig, the more likely it is to win.
# If it sounds like it was written by a funny, normal person pretending to be a pompous, elitist prig, it is virtually guaranteed to win.

Now you have no excuses.

Sylvia said...

I forgot to pick up my kid once.

He had a childminder who did it usually who was off sick that day, to be fair. I mean, it wasn't something I usually did.

2 hours later I remembered and found him sitting there chatting to the janitor.

PJD said...

I was left as a kid twice. Once at a baseball game and was brought to ice cream by the family with 8 children when they drove past and saw me sitting on the curb. And once when I was at a soccer practice and three hours later I was found by the cops that my stepmom had called when I wasn't where she thought was going to be. Neither one was a good experience.

Maybe I'm just American, or dumb (is that redundant?), but a "childminder" sounds like some sinister creation you'd find in The Matrix.

Sylvia said...

Babysitter sounds like a teenager looking after him for an hour while he watches telly.

Nanny sounds posh.

What other words are there?

writtenwyrdd said...

sounds like a Japanese asimo robot with a mission to me, pjd

Dave Fragments said...

Kids nowadays might hack Asimo and make it misbehave

Evil Editor said...

Keeper.

PJD said...

Yay! Asimo references! That was one of the coolest things we did at Disneyland last winter with my kids. They thought it was going to be stupid and boring, which is kind of what I thought, but as an EECS major back in the day, I found it insanely cool. That is, seeing Asimo go through his paces on stage.

Dave Fragments said...

A few years back I acted as "advisor" to a high school group that built robots and took them to compete against each other.

My Alma Mater, Carnegie Mellon, refused admission to one very brilliant kid. He was only 12 years old and they said he needed to experience high school - socially to get into college.

PJD said...

Needing the social aspects of high school to get into college is like needing your query and opening on Evil Editor's site in order to be published.

Evil Editor said...

I used to love Battlebots on Comedy Central.

Sylvia said...

pjd that would have won the simile contest for sure! ;)

Sylvia said...

Right, it's D&D night so I'm off. No drunken poetry from me tonight, I'm afraid. I'll try to enter a contest in the morning when I'm not feeling quite so fragile.

Ulysses said...

"they said he needed to experience high school - socially to get into college."

Good lord! When I think of the social conditions in the average high-school, I wonder when rejection and humiliation became pre-requisites for college.

Dave Fragments said...

Those kids built things like Battlebots and programmed them to do tasks.

That bright kid in particular, I could discuss differential equations, Descartes thesis on existence, and many other things that one never hears out of a 12 y/o. He definitely needed socialization though.

Evil Editor said...

Dungeons and Dragons?

Evil Editor said...

What better task to program a machine for than to destroy other machines?

Evil Editor said...

Pet Peeve: TV shows on the Discovery Channel that rank the best roller coasters, and instead of staying with the ride the whole way, they keep cutting to shots of the passengers smiling and screaming.

Ulysses said...

We used to get the British "Robot Wars" on the Space channel here. Wonderfully fun stuff, especially with Craig Charles (who played Lister in Red Dwarf) providing commentary.

Wes said...

I miss Robin. I hope she gets off work soon.

Evil Editor said...

Not that I would eever get on a roller coaster, but I like to watch them on TV.

Wes said...

It took a lot of restraint not to make my last post cheap and tasteless.

Evil Editor said...

I found it a little cheap, frankly.

Dave Fragments said...

I used to take my Brother's kids to Cedar Point. They loved the roller coasters. I am medically forbidden from riding them.

Evil Editor said...

Too short?

Evil Editor said...

You must be this tall to ride.

Dave Fragments said...

Broke several vertebrae years ago and the G forces could cause more damage

writtenwyrdd said...

LOL! Only dave knows.

Wes said...

EE,
Earlier today I posted in The Front Door my hope that if you ever reveal your identity, we minions could party with you. I'm sure hilarity would ensue.

Evil Editor said...

We'll need a stadium.

Dave Fragments said...

Thousands of admiring minions!

Evil Editor said...

Would it be okay if I hired someone to pretend to be me?

Dave Fragments said...

Hire? Hire?
Can genius be hired?
Can Einstein be imitated?
Would the Pope use a stand-in?

Wes said...

If a stadium is good enough for Jimmy Hoffa, it should be good enough for you.

Darn it! Back to work. The curse of the drinking class.

Evil Editor said...

You're a bartender?

Dave Fragments said...

Wes is a bouncer at a Dude Ranch near the Painted Dessert...
;)

writtenwyrdd said...

"If a stadium is good enough for Jimmy Hoffa, it should be good enough for you."

Hah!

Wes said...

I was. Five summers on Maniac Island. I mean Mackinac Island.

Wes said...

I was also a bouncer in a topless bar (not at Mackinac), but only for one night. True. I didn't want to get my face caved in. Those women were tough.

Dave Fragments said...

Actually, Hoffa is in one of the ramps at Giant Stadium. My cousin Guido told me.

Kiersten White said...

Wow, I'm glad I missed that last bar discussion.

I can't believe Sylvia thinks D&D could possibly be more entertaining than us.

Before we were too poor for television, I used to really like Mythbusters. My husband loves the "Top Twenty (Roller Coasters, Haunted Houses, Luxury Yachts, etc)" shows.

Wes said...

OK. Now for real, I have to go back to work and maximize shareholder equity.

Enjoy your day, EE.

Dave Fragments said...

You worked as a male dancer at a topless bar?
Wow, you're only the second exotic dancer I ever met. I used to play football with the other when I was a teen.

Wes said...

Good-bye, Dave.

Evil Editor said...

bye.

Dave Fragments said...

I really do know a fellow (he's two or three years older than I am) (and no, he's not Wes)... who worked as a male stripper in his Aunt's and Parent's bar. The ladies loved him and his three friends because they all were Italian and etc...

Dave Fragments said...

And I must go and do mundane things - laundry, dinner, dishes, mundane crap. I might be back after dark.

Kiersten White said...

Not to change the subject...well, okay, to change the subject...

EE, what would you say most of your readers write? Do you get more submissions from a certain genre?

Ulysses said...

I wish I had some etc.

And now it's time to stagger home. In case I haven't said this yet: thanks for everything you do, EE. It's entertaining, informative and invaluable.

writtenwyrdd said...

Want to hear something wierd? One of my Mormon relatives recognized one of the FLDS ladies as a gal she used to be best friends with in high school. She was pretty freaked out.

Kiersten White said...

Wow, that is weird. That's not a religion you up and join...especially because Mormons are usually the strongest anti-polygamy people you'll find, just because it bugs us so much that everyone thinks we are.

Well, I don't know though--they always do need more women. Maybe they recruited her?

writtenwyrdd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kiersten White said...

Ah, I see.

No, lots of polygamist families still live mainstream. But they aren't Mormons unless they are lying through their teeth to the church leaders. You can't be polygamist and be a member; you'll be excommunicated.

In fact, when one of my friends did her student teaching, half of the kids in her class were half-siblings. She said it was really confusing. And kind of freaky.

writtenwyrdd said...

Sorry, let me rephrase. That first effort sounded really offensive and it was unintentional.

Back in the 50s when they were in high school, it was wink and nod and the flds lived among everyone else in SLC. I know from personal experience that lots of lore gets sort of revised over time, so I wouldn't be surprised if this got lost to a younger generation. But there used to be a lot of sympathy for the FLDS members, and except that they had their own churces and tithes and practiced polygamy, back then they were almost entirely like the regular LDS church. Things turned darkly strange in the 60s when Jessup got in control, it seems.

Kiersten White said...

Why did you delete that? It wasn't offensive, I promise. I'm not defensive about my religion; I'm pretty chill.

Kiersten White said...

Don't worry, I knew what you were saying. Yeah, the leadership changed and the FLDS got weirder and weirder.

The area of Utah that I grew up in didn't have any polygamists, but some of my friends had relatives that were.

I've been following the Texas stuff pretty closely; it's disturbing.

writtenwyrdd said...

I try not to antagonise even on accident, so I fixed it. Glad you weren't offended, though.

Kiersten White said...

That's very wise of you. People can get pretty sensitive about religion. I'm find with people disagreeing with me, as long as they aren't jerks about it. And if they are, what's the point in being a jerk back? Too much effort.

Kiersten White said...

Off for naptime.

Talk to you later, WW.

Phoenix Sullivan said...

I'm about to go back into a meeting, so let me scoot you guys over to the 4th round thread , please. They're doing karaoke there now. :o)

writtenwyrdd said...

Yes, I must leave myself. I have to *work* for a while. Then I must finish a critique.

Thanks again for all the wit and time you have shared with us!

writtenwyrdd said...

That should have said Thanks EE for all the wit and time you've shared with us. (You can see that I need to ket awaaaay from the keyboard.)